Fulfilling the rewards is the reason for initiating a large scale fabrication run. By using Kickstarter for this, we’re taking full advantage of the global community as a way of diffusing tiles to the widest possible audience, you the backers. This network effect is a unique quality of any social net, and is something that cannot be achieved otherwise.
We want to show YOU how to — listen, see, and hear — the local environment that you and your family occupy, not just by observing that environment, but by being able to fabricate its expression. In exchange for your support, you’ll receive any number of unique rewards that we will fabricate as a part of this campaign.
The nascent FABMOBs community is built from the convergence of two existing ones:
- from the Maker community, those who are already using 3d printers, and
- from the Smart Citizens, people already experimenting with technologically mediated, environmental activism.
- Objective: build an integrated platform of data visualization and generative design by building upon a 3d printer’s inherent potential for expansion, connectivity and mobility. Through the synthesis of hardware, software and mobile networks, fabricate unique, connected objects from physical data.
- FABMOB (fabrication + mobility) is — a sensor and a transmitter, a prototype and a platform, mobile and networked. FABMOB transforms atmospheric data captured here and now, into a digital models that can be fabricated into an…
- ATMOStag (atmosphere + tag): a tile printed by FABMOB. The tile’s generated geometry represents the synthesis of the captured data. ATMOStag serves to a mark (or tag) a territory, or to compare the atmospheric flux in space and time.